Re: proposal to discuss forking of OpenERP GTK client

2012-10-12 12:25, Fabien Pinckaers skrev:
Hello,

create a mess.
If we want to refocus our efforts on the web, it's not for the "bells
and whistles" as some pretend it is. For v7.0, less than 5% of our
developers worked on the new design. Most of our efforts where on making
everything robust.

The advantages of the web client:
   - modularity
   - allows to easily develop features that can be very complex in GTK:
     touchscreen point of sale, new reconciliation facilities, advanced
     widgets like many2many_tags, kanban, good integration of external
     libs (geo-engine of camptocamp, linkedin integration, oauth, ...)
   - it will allow to go mobile.

A couple of months ago I was demonstrating OpenERP at a large swedish government agency for a project group working with next generation platform. This group wanted to have OpenERP demonstrated on Ubuntu 12.04, and during the demonstration it became obvious that they thought the HUD (Heads Up Display) was an important feature. Its a desktop feature working fast with applications just using keyboard. They had a criteria that all applications they choose should work the same way and HUD was one of them.

As long as we have a modern GTK-client, functions like that will be automagical implemented because it comes with Python/GTK. But this is an example of what a web client never will deliver.

I have heard that it's not only Swedish government that implements Ubuntu, Libreoffice and a bunch other free software as next generation standard plattform. It would be nice if OpenERP could be one of prefered applications in this type of context.

Regards,

Anders Wallenquist
Vertel