Re: proposal to discuss forking of OpenERP GTK client

Hello,

> I am afraid that dropping the official support for the GTK client means
> that the RPC/webservice API will degenerate and the main development
> will diverge.

Of course, we will keep maintaining the RPC/Web-service. It's very
important as OpenERP is often integrated with third party applications.
It's a very good feature of OpenERP.

We are also improving the protocol to support others authentification
methods than the plain text login/password. v7.0 will support different
authentification mechanisms: oauth, openid, ldap, login/password.

We redesigned completly the login/sign up process so that you can create
users without having to assign them a password.

> Even if we got a "fork" of the GTK-client there are no commitment from
> OpenERP SA that it will be possible to maintain such thing.
> Its too tempting to use bells and whistles from web and bypass API and
> create a mess.

If we want to refocus our efforts on the web, it's not for the "bells
and whistles" as some pretend it is. For v7.0, less than 5% of our
developers worked on the new design. Most of our efforts where on making
everything robust.

The advantages of the web client:
  - modularity
  - allows to easily develop features that can be very complex in GTK:
    touchscreen point of sale, new reconciliation facilities, advanced
    widgets like many2many_tags, kanban, good integration of external
    libs (geo-engine of camptocamp, linkedin integration, oauth, ...)
  - it will allow to go mobile.

> Please don't waste that unique position OpenERP has today.

v7.0 will allow an even better unique position: ERP accessible to
everyone. You will see that the demand on OpenERP will explode and that
your implementation effort will be reduced a lot.

--
Fabien Pinckaers