Re: new api, v8 release

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 7:28 AM, David Arnold - El Alemán <david@xxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> I agree with all of you, especially with nhomar's notion of how we can
> play a pro-aktive and responsible role in this.
>
> +1 for de document foundation time based release cycle. this could be
> almost a copy paste template for odoo

Of course we should test more. But also, for those who didn't notice, the
bugs reports and pull requests are now accumulating just like on Launchpad.
It all started very well the first month on Github we OpenERP Sa catching
up with the patch flow, but since one month it's nearly blocked again:
https://github.com/odoo/odoo/issues?direction=desc&sort=created&state=open
At some point if we test and even provide fixes and it's not considered it
becomes pointless...

I'm following all of these bug reports, I would say 80% or more are valid
bugs I think and around 30% have a pull request associated (quite a very
good ratio it means advanced early adopters testing), and a good deal of
the pull requests seems perfectly valid fixes but aren't evaluated. Few
bugs are regressions (10% ?) but still, even if they are few, regression is
never acceptable for end user or an integrator. Much better to leave tons
of promised new features unfinished than creating regressions...

On the contrary, I see the key developers struggling on the web modules...
So this is that web framework that seems to monopolize the few key
resources while the elementary ERP stuff is hardly receiving enough
attention, see these kind of reports + patches
https://github.com/odoo/odoo/issues/1213

Also, of course none of the guys asking for stabilization are enjoying
delay, the thing is we have to choose the "less worse" and unlike the
newcomers that may be next time should have listen to the old timers, we do
have experience in what kind of consequence it can have to release in a
rush to meet a deadline, believe us, it can be much worse than being late.
One thing is marketing and one other different thing is how things really
are, time to wake up.

PS: one of the official PR of today I would like community feedback
https://github.com/odoo/odoo/pull/1350#issuecomment-49989194

Good luck to OpenERP SA devs still because I'm sure it's a rush. And dear
community, while v8 is not there yet, your energy is always welcome
improving OCA modules and reviewing the work being done there, even on v7.

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant