Re: Making our way out from the bloated extra-addons repository

Yes no problem Joêl, we could rename that branch.
May be Something like payment-order would be appropriate here (BTW the
original module creators just documented the Tryton equivalent modules
http://code.google.com/p/tryton/wiki/PaymentOrder )

I should still analyse if all these extracted modules fit under some really
common topic. As a reminder, the extraction criteria was "extract the
extra-addons closest to account_payment_order without leaving isolated
often needed module alone". This was the first criteria for rescuing from
the extra-addons without adding extra-complexity it doesn't necessarily
means these extra-addons are homogeneous enough today.

In any case, I think we can now safely use the 2 basic "topological"
operations that will allow us to manage these branches from now on:

   - we can split further using the same kind of script when we will need it
   - we can "group" branches together I think. In that case, Let's just
   rebased them on a common ancestor (my branch ancestor is extra-addons
   already) and do a merge. The history of each leg is still the history of
   the original module branch.

So I was focused on the extraction, now, we can focus on the management of
the extracted branches. If you at CampToCamp want to create some Launchpad
financial project to regroup these branches to make them easier to discover
and administer, please do it, we will move the branches under that new
umbrella.

Also, something important we should do now:
educate the previous extra-addons users and committers about the new
branches to avoid the maintenance to happen in the extra-addons instead of
using these new branches.

What can we do for that?
1) send summary emails to the communities, I'll do it

2) remove the extracted modules from the extra-addons? That's a bit brutal
for the beginners following these branches may be. Something we could do
instead could be add some kind of raise an automatic exception when the
code of the module is read, something like "that modules moved to branch X,
please download and use branch X or delete that code line alternatively if
you want to ignore that warning"

What do you think? What would be the best way to deprecate these modules in
some insisting but easy to fix way?

Regards,

--
Raphaël Valyi