Re: sony_laptop

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:18 PM, Xavier Hallade <xh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> new kernel installed and... no difference.

uh-oh.

> what daemons and modules do you have in your rc.conf and mkinitcpio.conf ?

Nothing interesting.  rc.conf daemons:

  syslog-ng network crond dbus hal laptop-mode networkmanager cups sshd gdm

but I've added those gradually, the basic i915 modesetting has been
working since the start with only "syslog-ng network crond" or
whatever you get.

mkinitcpio.conf modules is empty, hooks is "base udev autodetect pata
scsi sata filesystems".

This is a current Arch install, i.e. I ran pacman -Syu before building
anything, just as soon as I had got the network working -- which IIRC
I did by downloading and installing the current Arch kernel and
firmware packages manually via a USB disk since the installer image
didn't have the correct wireless firmware and I couldn't find anywhere
the firmware download for it.

I have no special boot options... I was using i8042.nopnp for the
touchpad; Giacomo Bagnoli has pointed out
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/89139/ for that.

The only BIOS change I have made is to enable virtualisation, though I
did that before trying and failing to get it all working with Ubuntu.
And just for completeness, this is a VPC Z (current model) with i5,
1920x1080, no optical drive, HDD instead of SSD.

I do appreciate how exasperating this is, I was in exactly the same
situation as you until I apparently got lucky somehow.  Unfortunately,
it appears that my getting lucky wasn't actually a result of anything
specific that I did, so it's hard to know how to reproduce it.

Chris