Re: What importance should this bug have?

* Alberto Salvia Novella (es20490446e@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> David Alan Gilbert:
> >Note that the existing criteria give you other criteria; so for
> >example 'low' says it's for bugs with an easy workaround.
> >
> >Now, I wouldn't generally knock something that caused a 'won't boot'
> >or problem with a critical device down to low because it's got
> >an easy work around, but I might knock it down one level.
>
> While this in theory sounds logic; in practice I never had to use
> those criteria, because something else weighed more.
>
> For example, my computer suddenly stopped working after an upgrade.
> The work-around was simply to configure GRUB to boot with a previous
> kernel, but because at least 80% of people would require technical
> support for doing so I decided to set it as critical.

That's a reasonable decision; but if it was very hardware specific
I'd put that as High:
  'Makes a default Ubuntu installation generally unusable for some users

    For example, if the system fails to boot, or X fails to start, on a certain make and model of computer'

> So what I think is leaving specific cases for intuition rather to
> policy will make the latest leaner.

No, it's madness to assume you can codify this completely.  We need
human input to do a good job.

Dave