Re: Reviews and bug reports

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When designing anything that involves multiple people, an important
use case to consider is: What if someone is a jerk?

[...]

A reviewer usually can't predict, ahead of time, whether a particular
developer will be like that. So either you don't implement this form
of communication at all (relying instead on adjustable automatic
error-reporting recipes), *or* you implement a method of reporting and
dealing with harassment if it does occur -- and fund staff to monitor
it. Which probably means that it's not just a person-week of work.

Or we use Launchpad's already-established mechanisms for dealing with jerks. I don't know what they are, but it hasn't been overrun by jerks, so it must be working.

I see these sorts of worries as a sign I'm on the right track. Building a full system for reviews and meta-reviews and bugs and comments and whatnot is a huge job. We can't implement it from scratch in a reasonable amount of time. Let's leverage what we do have (namely Launchpad) to produce a functional, if imperfect, solution.