Re: Bootloop after installing OTA4

Hi,

El día Tuesday, June 16, 2015 a las 07:23:39PM +0200, Oliver Grawert escribió:

> > If this (non booting device) happens, one may be in highly complicated situation,
> > esp. when you use your BQ for daily busines and as the one and only mobile
> > device. That's why I think, there MUST be a clear and comprehensive
> > description in ONE place which explains exactly and in detail what you
> > now (in the moment of not booting) can do and what you need as tools and
> > files for this.
>
> if you ever made your device writable, installed any debs or changed any
> files that are usually in the readonly space there is no guarantee at
> all that any update will ever work and you are pretty much on your
> own ...

fully agreed; but ...

> the solution is pretty simple, don't tinker with the device if you need
> to rely on it ... the OTAs are binary diffs between two predefined
> readonly images, if you changed the base image of this diff process in
> any way nobody can tell what happens ...

(could you please explain a bit, how these binary diffs are produced and
loaded into the device later, i.e. how the update works; thanks)

> while you *can* make it writable all documentation that talks about it
> definitely has a big fat warning that you are likely ending up in a
> situation where it will break and you have to re-flash from scratch ...
>
> beyond this, the askubuntu help under the above url pretty clearly
> describes what you need to do imho ... please feel free to provide your
> own answer there if you think it can be described any better or in more
> detail.

... but: even if you have not tinkerered your device (and I did not),
for some reason you may end up with a not booting device, for example
power fail while updating, broken battery, ...

and for this case one needs a strong guiding about what to do now; I know
there are a lot of places with very(!!!) useful documentation and hints
and I have them pulled together here as an example:

    Installing adb and fastboot:
    http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/74-ubuntu/328-ubuntu-trusty-android-adb-fastboot-qtadb

    Installation and flashing:
    http://sturmflut.github.io/ubuntu/touch/2015/05/07/hacking-ubuntu-touch-index/ :
    -- Hacking the bq, Part 1: Bootloader, Fastboot and Recovery
    -- Hacking the bq, Part 2: Factory Mode
    -- Hacking Ubuntu Touch, Part 1: ubuntu-device-flash
    -- Hacking Ubuntu Touch, Part 2: Devices and Images
    -- Hacking Ubuntu Touch, Part 3: How images are flashed
    -- Hacking Ubuntu Touch, Part 4: Developer mode and ADB
    -- Hacking Ubuntu Touch, Part 5: adb shell vs. phablet-shell
    -- Hacking Ubuntu Touch, Part 6: Logfiles
    -- Hacking the bq, Part 3: Supported media plugins and codecs
    -- Hacking Ubuntu Touch, Part 7: System and process monitoring tools (part 1)

    Flashing the E4.5:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/602035/how-do-i-use-ubuntu-device-flash-with-the-bq-aquaris-e4-5-and-aquaris-e5

but all this amount of very good stuff, is not what you need in a case
of emergency; in this case you need a clear step by step guide 1....nn
which must start with how to enable adb and adb-fastboot (keep in mind
not all of us are Ubuntu-users or Ubuntu-experts, but users of Linux or
in my case FreeBSD;

> this is why we use askubuntu, you are able to improve what's there if
> you feel the need ;)

I'm in the good position to have a second broken BQ E4.5 which I must return in
the next week to BQ.com for repair/change; I will try to test a
procedure with this flashing it to factory state again before returning
the device to BQ.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, guru@xxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-170-4527211    +49-176-38902045
"Wenn der Mensch von den Umständen gebildet wird, so muß man die Umstände menschlich bilden."