Re: E5 OOB exerience

> I believe it is the expected behaviour for mobile phone OEMs to make phones in batches, and for those batches to be sold with the software that was current at the time of production. It's particularly expensive to re-visit a phone already made, so I believe no-one routinely updates the software between manufacture and the customer getting it.
>
> We certainly need to consider how long the OOBE lives in such a batch manufacturing world, and I believe you will see bugs which impact the experience between first boot and first OTA are given release-blocking status as a consequence.

The first few minutes after the phone comes out of the box the most important minutes in the life of that phone (at least for Canonical).

I realize that it’s impossible to ensure that phones have a recent image. But the problems I experienced apparently are unrelated to the age of the image. After I updated to 9.1, all the issues I saw persisted. (The one issue that might related to the old image was the stuck first reboot after the upgrade.)

All this is about looking at the world from the perspective of a non-technical person who buys the phone and living through their experience. If a customer goes through the same experience as me, that’s a lost customer for sure. We need to evaluate and test our software from the perspective of a non-technical user. If we don’t, we completely miss our audience.

If I can’t reliably connect to my wifi network OOB, that’s a killer bug. If I can’t transfer my music collection, that’s another killer bug.

Michi.