Re: E5 OOB exerience

On 21 March 2016 at 09:08, Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> you. That won't happen with the new products, but if that was a recent
> purchase (not known in your case) I think the factory images really
> should get upgraded occasionally.

I will start by breaking a small confidence. I shipped Michi the phone in
question (unless he got another E5 recently!), and I believe it came from a
batch that Canonical acquired around the time of launch. It is therefore
quite old.

It is standard practice for us to issue fresh factory images to OEMs like
BQ with each OTA release.

I believe it is the expected behaviour for mobile phone OEMs to make phones
in batches, and for those batches to be sold with the software that was
current at the time of production. It's particularly expensive to re-visit
a phone already made, so I believe no-one routinely updates the software
between manufacture and the customer getting it.

We certainly need to consider how long the OOBE lives in such a batch
manufacturing world, and I believe you will see bugs which impact the
experience between first boot and first OTA are given release-blocking
status as a consequence.