Re: [Design]: Color changes in OTA 10

On 27/04/16 14:21, Mark wrote:
With huge respect, carriers are a poor reason to change the Ubuntu brand (or to do anything for that matter imo), and it can only be detrimental to the product. That said , Linux is all about customisation, so, shouldn't the user be able to define...
nah, Linux is all about being a kernel, Free Software is all about protecting the freedoms of the user, Ubuntu is not all about customisation, it is all about delivering Free Software, to an opinionated design. You are not really meant as a user to change things, you are meant to like what the design team give you and they are designing a finished article, not a framework for you to work within. There is no theme switcher, no way to change the fonts or sizes, no accessibility support etc. none of that is designed in to the product. Some of it may be added later, but it isn't an input into the design process - it is much more art than architecture.

I have no clue if the carriers or handset folk are driving this change (actually I am fairly sure they have no opinion on precise shades of Orange, but they might want the flat greys plus RGB which make up the rest of the palette) that is just idle speculation.

Alan.