ubuntu-tv team mailing list archive

Re: Some basic ideas for Ubuntu TV.

I never said it should only be used for viewing videos.

But, TVs are consumption devices, and should be treated as such. Think
of it as a large tablet. Tablets are great devices for watching
videos, surfing the internet, reading email, IM, and games. They also
work great for photo galleries, and listening to music. But they
aren't very good for being productive. Office isn't very good, photo
editors are mostly simple and geared towards correction, etc. This is
a perfect example of how TV's should be used. When the need to be
productive arises, the best thing the TV could do is to easily set up
your computer to be productive.

Computers, on the other hand, are much better for being productive,
and much worse for consumption. There's obviously a tradeoff, but I
typically don't like watching movies on my computer proper. The screen
is too small and too close, and the chair isn't good for relaxing. So
in this case, the best thing the computer could do is set up my TV to
watch the movie.