ubuntu-tv team mailing list archive

Re: Some basic ideas for Ubuntu TV.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Jo-Erlend Schinstad
<joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Den 28. nov. 2011 23:54, skrev Thomas Mashos:
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand the point of OpenOffice type apps on the big
>> screen. Why do I want to look at a screen that is much farther away
>> from me to see the data (which BTW you will need to blow up the font
>> size to see it) when I can see the same data on a smaller screen that
>> is physically closer to me? That said, if you really wanted to do this
>> it could be accomplished via an app (eg. launch the synergy app on the
>> TV and you can now connect your netbook to it). I think this makes
>> more sense (in an app) than built in functionality.
>>
>> As for the logging in portion, I still want to see the average TV's
>> day for a family of 4. I think Alan Bell's idea is probably the best
>> (the separate usb keys), although I think there are some security
>> risks with that scenario. If someone takes my key  (or just copies it)
>> can they now read and write all my data? Maybe we could make it read
>> only.
>>
>> To the point of "Family of products working together". Please don't
>> make added functionality come from owning other Ubuntu branded
>> devices. Make an Android app, IOS app, Windows app, OSX app, etc. If I
>> wanted to have vendor lock in I would own Apple devices.
>>

> I've used a large screen for office stuff for ages. In the past, I've
> connected the TV to my laptop using HDMI. Now that TVs contain computers,
> that will no longer be necessary. I can just connect to the WLAN. No wires.
>
> Being able to reuse a screen for different purposes is valuable in and of
> itself. Why would you _not_ want the ability to use a big screen for other
> things than video? I don't understand that.

Simple, because I have to build it. Working on the Mythbuntu team for
the last four years has shown that there are far more dreamers than
there are programmers. I'm not spending my time on something I don't
think is necessary. This is why I proposed the idea of plugin support.
If you think it's a good idea, then it's relatively easy for you to
develop a third party plugin that provides that functionality.