Re: unity and notifications

Hi Appi,

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:21, Diego Moya <turingt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23 September 2010 03:00, Apoorva Sharma wrote:
>

>> Thanks for your approval of my design!
>>
>> I went ahead and made an interactive mockup with HTML, CSS, and
>> JavaScript.
>> Since it uses CSS3, it only works with Firefox 4, Chrome, and Epiphany.
>> (In Maverick)
>>
>> Here's the link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/510407/Test/index.html
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> Also shouldn't it open to the right and cover the calendar and clock area?
> At least in my browser it's opening to the left of the mail indicator, which
> is covering the space dedicated to the taskbar.

i still suggest morphing out the info text field from the bottom of the
indicator array..
Replacing the indicators with a notification is also a good idea, but seems
to me to be more of a fancy theme for our notification bubbles, the default
imo should be near the indicators yet should not obscure them. Remember: the
indicator menus are for interaction, this area of the panel is for
interaction, the indicators are not only control LEDs to monitor the state
of a service..

obscuring a group of special menu buttons would be too obtrusive.. Also
remember that you are consciously adding constraint to the already spartan
design up there, this should only happen when your use case's affordance
character strongly depends on adding this constraint. Constraint per se has
no function other than to limit, prevent, secure or protect.
Only critical system alerts would in this case be valid for your design, as
great as it is, still..

Thanks for an incredible addition to the markup-based interaction designs..
i hope we will continue to see those css3 mockups here.. :D