Re: Global menu in Oneiric Ocelot (11.10)

On 15/06/11 21:28, Matthew Bassett wrote:
[some stuff deleted]

> 1) to not activate menu drop downs until mouse-up (so you can grab the
> the menu bar/title bar without issue and drag the menu around), or
>
> 2) only make the menu appear when you mouse over the left hand half of
> the title bar.

Or:

3) When the pointer goes over the title bar of a non-maximised window,
have the menu bar appear floating below the title bar, to the right of
the window buttons (for consistent horizontal alignment with the menu of
maximised windows). This leaves the title bar free for grabbing to move
the window, without having "special" unexpected behaviour for those
people that are used to scrubbing the pointer down on a menu to select
the desired item.

For improved aesthetics I think it would probably be good to "float" the
menu bar so that overlaps the title bar slightly (this would then give
the alignment of the menu to the right of the window buttons a more
reasonable appearance).

The menu would persist whilst the pointer was over the title bar, or
over the floating menu bar (and possibly for a short delay after it had
moved away from either).

This would also allow for menu bars that are wider than the windows with
which they are associated without it looking too wierd.

I have attempted (an extremely poor) illustration of what I mean at:

http://ubuntuone.com/p/zZp/

(I would not propose the use of something quite as ugly as I have
illustrated...)

Thoughts anyone?