Re: Unity2D -- wow! (And hidden window buttons)

2011/8/28 Jo-Erlend Schinstad <joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxx>

> Den 28. aug. 2011 07:55, skrev huff:
>
>  Yes, but from what you're saying I don't think you've tested
>>> it yourself, much less tested it on others. For instance, we've
>>> never before had the buttons in the corner.
>>>
>> I may have missed something in this thread, since the posts
>> are so long, but being in the corner is not really helpful to me.
>> If I can see them, it hardly matters to me where they are.
>>

> Right. If they aren't in the corner, then you have ti see them.
> But since they're in the corner, you don't have to see them,
> which makes the interface less confusing because there are
> less clutter and useless controls.
>
> Yes, but they are *not* in the corner. I cannot throw the mouse with my
eyes closed and hit the X button because it has a 4px gap from the corner.
This forces me to move the mouse, check, move again and finally click. It's
a 4-step action for what should be a 2-step one: move and click.

As far as my personal preferences are concerned, this would be enough. Make
the invisible X button extend to the left and top edges and the "invisible"
part becomes a non-issue: just throw the mouse and click. (Yes the X button
gets special treatment, because you use it roughly an order of magnitude
more often than the minimize and maximize buttons).

My other concern has to do with computer-illiterate users who come across
this for the first time. Jo asked me how those users cope with the invisible
menus in 11.04. The answer is, they don't - they are still on 10.04 because
(a) Unity is very rough in 11.04 and (b) I only use LTRs on them (upgrading
every 6 months is painful). I just ask that these users be kept in mind for
12.04, that's all.