Re: No more dodge windows in Unity ? Why keep the "Always hide" option ?

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Petko <pditchev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 02/10/2012 12:13 AM, pjssilva@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> Because in this case it is not that clear for me how a user would find its
>> way to open the first application. There is no launcher, there is no menu
>> labeled start, the only clue is the first animation with the launcher hiding
>> itself upon login, that some users may partially miss. Don't the users find
>> this also uncomfortable?
>
> The new default is always visible , not always hide.

Petko, I am answering to the whole list.

But, as I said, I agree with always visible as default.

But now I understand what may have happened. The Canonical team tested
dodge windows as default and concluded that it made people
uncomfortable and then concluded that the option was not good even for
a non-default setting and decided to wipe out of the configuration. Is
that it?

Since the design team decided that they would complete delete "Dodge
windows" and keep "Always hide" (as non-default), I thought they have
tested both in the same conditions. And as I understood they tested
Dodge windows as default, the same should have been done with Always
hide. Or even better, they should have tested them as non-default (and
hence giving the users some kind of explanation of what the
non-default behavior was and asking them to change it themselves).

If such test in equal conditions was not done how do they know that
users prefer Hide always instead of Dodge windows?

best,

Paulo