Re: No more dodge windows in Unity?

On 02/15/2012 10:41 PM, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

Now, what I propose ,is to have auto-hide show the launcher on the desktop (if you don't like it being shown in the 15% case - so be it , just on clear desktop) .

What do you propose to do about the transition when it is showing on the desktop, and an app is maximised. That is the key issue, I don't believe it is soluble, by all means run experiments in a PPA and I'll review the results but as far as speculative design and "can we please" is concerned, the matter is resolved.

Mark

Frankly I don't understand the issue :?

I'm not fully aware of the mechanics but the lumberjack way to do it (and how I imagined it when I gave the proposal) involves the existence of a "desktop clear" flag or something like that :

-start : normal auto-hide
-when desktop-clear flag is up : show launcher
-when desktop clear flag is down : resume auto-hide

And the extended version of the idea uses the logic of dodge all windows, so because I ,still , don't know the mechanics of it all - the answer lies within the dodge code . (but I'm not insisting on that scenario in no way, for me the 80% of having the launcher on the desktop is quite sufficient)

Petko