Re: Category-based app browsing, was Re: Some impressions about the current status of Unity

> >> Can you explain what? Is it the name "filter" you react to, or selecting
> >> categories? Because you do that in Gnome menubar as well, when you
> >> select Applications > Internet for instance.
> >
> > Yes, there's similarity in that you select Categories, be it as filter
> > or menu. You already mentioned one of the differences, but let me try
> > to make a complete list.
> >

> > What is different with using Filters in the Dash from using a menu
> > with sub-menus per category?
> > - Initially, there is no category selected
> > - Initially, categories are invisible
> > - Category selection is not exclusive, but additive (though not in 11.10)
> > - Category selection happens in a dedicated area, there is no
> > similarity in the representation of categories and items
>
> So I proposed showing the categories by default, and remembering the
> state until the user changed the view. That has nothing to do with any
> concepts. It's just an extremely small aspect. Categories are set to
> multi-select on left-click, which I consider to be a bug since no other
> software in Ubuntu works that way. Again, not a conceptual thing at all.
> Why is it important that the categories share screen space with the
> items? That isn't easy to understand. I would think you'd like to have a
> visual reminder of what category you're displaying.

here is the bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/841847

It was that there was no multi-select in 11.10, however, it did not specify that it needed to be just on click and not a combination. So i agree with others that Ctrl or shift + click would be more consistent.