Re: [Ayatana] "Hybrid" (panel/launcher) top left corner button

Further, how about promoting the "Ubuntu" brand on its own desktop?
11.04: Ubuntu logo is there, where it belongs, the top left corner
("A" corner for God's sake). 11.10: Ubuntu logo hides with the
Launcher, acts like just another Launcher icon, somewhere around the
top left corner. Do you know of _any_ other modern desktop where a
corner is not occupied by the brand/logo of the OS/Distro/DE? I
honestly don't.

I agree with that. One of the reasons I think the button has to be there is the promotion of Ubuntu brand when windows are maximized.

Now, with the Ubuntu button on the Launcher, the top panel and the
Launcher/Dash are completely separate entities and there is no
harmony. After 11.04, I was hoping for more integration and harmony
but the current design is absolutely a step backwards.

Also I agree with that. It's the reason I joined Ayatana mailing list. When I saw in omgubuntu.co.uk the window controls hidden, well, that bothered me a lot. And Ubuntu button it's part of that. "Remove it" instead of "use a creative solution for the simplicity for users".

I think that _the design_ of Unity for desktops was that of Natty. Then, there was a "feature freeze" for Oneric, and for some reason there was some kind of panic. But the points that bothers me is that if the design was fixed, only minor changes must be allowed. Introducing more and more big changes confuses new users. The example: why the wallpaper is almost the same for 10.10, 11.04, and 11.10? Because the intention is that the people, specially new users, get familiarized with Ubuntu. If you change and change the interface, that goal is not accomplished. And why removing a button from the panel is a big change? Because it changes the way people run applications and invoke the launcher. Gnome 2 had almost the same design for a very long time, but obviously there was improvement.