Re: Stable 5 branch status

Hello all,

I will attempt to summarize the status as I see it.

Lots of fixes have been comming in over the last few weeks. But if we are
to keep up with Wayne's goal of having a v5 release for FOSDEM, I think we
tag 5.0.0-rc1 soon. There is no reason we can still fix stuff untill we
make the final 5.0.0 release, and create the 5.0 branch from there. Then we
can unfreeze the feature freeze on master, and git describe matster will be
relative to this point. I have attached an example and caricature of the
previous kicad branching and how I see expect the future too look like.

We shall accept that it will probably only be a release candidate for
FOSDEM, but that would be great too!

If there are some things that simply need to be in 5.0.0 -- I think we need
a shoutout now. Looking at https://launchpad.net/kicad/+milestone/5.0.0-rc1
there are only two outstanding bugs.

The library team seem to be ready to tag also,
https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-symbols/issues/133

I guess the doc will not have much time to get much love before the
release. But this is mostly about new features not being documented and
probably some cleanup and modernization. I guess we are more likely to get
some feedback on the docs after the first v5 release.

The translations will need a bit of touchup on some languages, the ones
almost done but needs a bit is en, ru, de, and es. These can probably reach
100% before v5 if we are lucky. This sort of requires we have a kicad tag
to update against. I think some of those languages also keep unused
strings, so even if it is not at 100% it might be complete. But I am not
sure about this.

Regards
Nick Østergaard