Re: 5.1

Hi Wayne,

On 10/24/18 5:35 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> On 10/23/2018 10:12 AM, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
>> On 10/23/18 3:00 PM, Seth Hillbrand wrote:
>>> The issues were asserts, missing icons and a crash on exit.  I tracked
>>> it down to a wx module that was loaded by pip in my user cache from when
>>> I was testing gtk3 builds.  Yay, python.  Removing it cleared all issues.
>>
>> Indeed it sounds like gtk2/gtk3 conflict, but I have good news: I fixed
>> the mirrored title block printing. I have also changed CMakeLists.txt,
>> so now it selects the same toolkit for wxWidgets and wxPython. When
>> scripting is disabled and only wxWidgets is linked then the default
>> toolkit is used. Now the problems caused by gtk2/gtk3 conflicts should
>> be gone. I think there is only one GTK3-specific issue left [1].
>
> Be careful here.  As Seth pointed out, you may run into issues
> attempting to be too clever.

Actually I was pretty sure that my approach is bullet-proof, but perhaps
I do not get where the trap is hidden. As far as I understand, Seth
experienced problems when pcbnew (wxWidgets/gtk2) loaded wxPython shared
libraries (wxWidgets/gtk3), which end up in symbol conflicts.

This issue is eliminated in my branch by ensuring KiCad requests the
same wxWidgets flavor as is used by wxPython. I might be lacking
explanation skills, but code is unambiguous - have a look at [1], lines
746 and 775.

Cheers,
Orson

1.