Re: Silk screens over pads and naming

On 13/06/14 18:35, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 06:18:44PM +0100, John Beard wrote:
>> I have not marked the protruding legs on the RA assembly: would this be
>> helpful, as the assembly drawing is not obviously handed? Something
>> like:
>
> I'd only put the brackets for the pin area (so you can do pin inspection
> bar, too)

Sorry, I don't quite understand "pin inspection bar"?

>          |          |
>        ----------------
>    ----|              |----
>    |                      |
>    ----|              |----
>        ---^------------
>          / \

Is this all assembly layer? If so, do you think the assembly layer arrow
should point upwards on the SMDs? The IPC assembly layer arrows don't
extend beyond the body line.

>> I have added a little triangle arrow at pin 1 for all types, as I think
>> this is a helpful thing for hand-assembly. I always appreciate it,
>> anyway!
>
> It's even better if the arrow is visible with the connector soldered, so
> it's faster to attach the cable, too. Especially if the connector is
> *not* polarized. Picoblades (and spoxs) are polarized and pin 1 is marked
> on the body but it's easier to see if it's marked on the silk.

The silk screen is put so it can be seen after soldering. The ASCII art
arrow is an assembly layer feature, modelled after the IPC standard.

> When you have many connectors you can actually reduce assembly time with
> these little things.

Agreed, even with the IPC-style silks, I think the arrow has extra value.

John