Re: UI in French?

Am 23.09.2010 16:01, schrieb Gilles:
> At 15:46 23/09/2010, Goh Lip wrote:
>> Hopefully there is no need to do a update-initramfs -u, but I'll
>> watch out for it.
>
> What does "update-initramfs -u"?
It updates or recreates the initrd.

>> Wonderful, you gave me an idea. I'll have to give it a try next
>> time.  - My Lubuntu is a 'real install' on a usb stick, but I am not
>> complaining! It is far far better than a live stick.
>
> What's a "real install on a USB stick", and how does it differ from a
> "live stick"? Do you mean that the former is persistent, while the
> latter is the default ISO image?
Real Install is the same as installing on harddrive. So after installing
you can work like on a "real" system with your own username and
configurations saved to usb stick. The root partition is mounted rw and
not compressed. In contrast to this a  Live Stick means running a live
system mounted on a read only compressed squashfs image which only
allows to save changes via a seperate rw filesystem.

> BTW, instead of making the USB key persistent, I'm really looking at
> how to boot with the current image, perform apt-get to
> add/update/remove packages, save this running instance into an
> external ISO, so that I can flash a bunch of USB keys with all my
> users need. Does someone have information on how to do this with Lubuntu?
This is called remastering (rebuilding the ISO with customized apps).
Try to search something on the net there are thousands of tutorials.
I might also do a quick video tutorial in my next Lubuntu Screencast if
you whish .