Re: Suggestion: Move these apps from "Preferences" to "System Tools" (submenus or not)

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 18:24:18 -0800
Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02/12/2011 04:32 AM, Jean-Pierre Vidal Piesset wrote:
>
> > 2011/2/11 Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > For me at least, if everything would be merged into one only sub-menu
> > i would know where to do something that normally i won't use every
> > day of my normal use of a computer. So, in favor of space
>
> There is really no "space" issue, since there is one "System" item at
> the first level of menus, in either case.
>
> > and practicity i'm with Julien on this. It would remind me a little
> > of XP wich honestly, was good.
>
> Let's try an example.  Time and Date settings.  In XP, in a default
> install, you need to do
>
>   Start -> Control Panel -> "Date, Time, Language and Regional Options"
>   -> Change the Date and Time
>
> Four clicks (with a nasty multi-second delay for the Control Panel app
> to appear, on a slow PC with low RAM!  Oh, and then you have to close
> the Control Panel again when you are done).  In Lubuntu, with my
> currently proposed menus, you would do
>
> Bird -> System -> Administration -> Time and Date
>
> Also four clicks, but no long delay between them, and no "control panel"
> needing to be closed afterwards :)
>
> Also, the original submitter of the bug report for this bug (LP bug
> #650432) just commented:
>
>   thank you very much. I have changed the file and I am
>   perfectly satisfied. I hope this will become the default
>   for the distribution?
>
> So he's happy with it as is, it would seem :)
>
> If Julien wants to change it to remove the submenus, fine, I won't fight
> that, it's not that important to me.  If someone tells me this is OK as
> it is, I'll happily create a bzr branch for lubuntu-default-settings to
> be merged.  Actually I may do that anyway, and Julien can then either
> accept it or reject it.

Not been following this too closely but, I've been thinking about the main menu having tried Fedora LXDE for a while.  The Fedora spin seems to have a better arrangement, although they have 'Other > OpenBox Session' as well, which I'd like to see removed from the menu.  May be worth looking at the Fedora LXDE Spin for ideas.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net