Re: autogenerating pcmanfm LINGUAS file

On 06/18/2011 10:16 PM, PCMan wrote:

> Regarding to the LINGUAS file, we have a special issue here.  ...

Yes, when I did the bzr recipe to package from the git sources more
directly I discovered that automation.  So perhaps the earlier patch was
"historical" -- created before the automated approach was used, or else
the Debian packaging did not pick up and use the automation.

> Cons:

> 1. If some newly added po files are broken, this automatically
> breaks the build process.

This is not necessarily a con :)  We want to know as soon as someone
does something to the official master repository that breaks it!

> 2. Some translation with bad quality becomes available before
> they're well-tested.

> Current approach is very convenient, but later proven to be
> problematic sometimes if there are some broken po files added to the
> repo.

Perhaps whoever adds the .po files should also test them?  Or if this is
100% automated, then perhaps we/you/someone needs to check a daily
automated build to verify nothing bad has happened, or set up an
automated alert email to be sent to you if it breaks?

> So, should we change it?

As long as it works, I'd say keep it.  Obviously any source tarball
releases will have their contents tested anyway, and if there are some
broken .po files in the git head at the time of such a release, they can
be excluded from the tarball easily enough, I would think.  You could
even set their export-ignore attribute in git until they are fixed, if
you want to make that exclusion more automated.

> Any comments?

I'd say keep it automated, use daily builds to check for breakage, and
set export-ignore on any badly broken .po files, so they do not get
included in release tarballs, or come up with some similar scheme to
exclude them.

Jonathan

P.S.  At last, my automated pcmanfm build for Natty i386 just succeeded
in my jmarsden/lubuntu PPA :)