Re: [12.04] Firefox instead of Chromium?

Am 09.11.2011 10:55, schrieb Chris:
> Bonjour Jean-Pierre,
>
> I don't know if this is correct, but I'm a little concerned for if the
>>> machines will support the test? We're talking about Pentium 3 & 4 and 256
>>> to 512 ram.
>> It's like Ali said, it's just a script which does some automated actions,
> like see what the CPU usage and MEM consumption. The idea for now is just
> shutting down all current processes of chromium-browser/firefox (or just
> checking if it's already running or completely shutting down) and starting
> a default set of tabs. That way the results should be comparable and
> "doable" for every machine.
>
> With metta, Chris

Its somehow funny to see everyone trying to look into the memory
consumption of firefox vs. chromium. But I just want keep in mind that
those aren't the only criteria for firefox vs. chromium.
Don't forget to compare them feature wise.
In my view Chromium offers still better features than firefox. Just look
at the HTML5 capabilities it just beats firefox here with in my view
important things just like HTML5 videoplayback (H264 is supported)
or the fact that every browser tab in chromium is running as a different
process in a sandbox which makes a crash of one tab not concerning for
other tabs. Also the startup time of chromium is still far better than
the one of firefox. Chromium also offers some little nice features like
a incognito mode that can be used alongside with the normal browsing
mode (which firefox does not have, as it closes the 'normal' browser and
opens with a incognito profile)
The memory consumption is nearly the same. Chromium seems to have a
lower memory consumption when it comes to a few open tabs. If you have
more than 5 tabs open firefox might be lower on memory consumption but
this is only my impression so far(I did not do any tests on it). If you
want to dig deep into the materia I guess reading out /proc processes is
the right way to go, or you could use the kde systemmonitor (sysguard)
which offers the most accurate memory consumption details of all the
systemmonitors so far (even giving you a list of /proc processes it
analyzed)

All in all I am in flavor of Chromium as its still faster and offers the
better features.