Re: [12.04] Firefox instead of Chromium?

> Let's not start a war here... I don't want to be rude, but please keep
> such personal opinions out of this discussion.I think we can all agree that
> both Firefox and Chromium are rich in features.
> We are simply trying to find out which browser, out of Firefox and
> Chromium, use the least resources.
> We want to chose the lightest of the two to be our out-of-the-box web
> browser, whatever users prefer to use after that is simply an apt-get away.
> *Let's not think in terms of "This is what I would prefer" but rather
> "This is what a user on a low spec machine would prefer".*

Could NOT agree more :)
Well said!

I second this:

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 6:55 PM, A. Andjelkovic <andjelkovic@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Let's not start a war here... I don't want to be rude, but please keep
> such personal opinions out of this discussion.
> I think we can all agree that both Firefox and Chromium are rich in
> features.
> We are simply trying to find out which browser, out of Firefox and
> Chromium, use the least resources.
> We want to chose the lightest of the two to be our out-of-the-box web
> browser, whatever users prefer to use after that is simply an apt-get away.
> Let's not think in terms of "This is what I would prefer" but rather "This
> is what a user on a low spec machine would prefer".
>
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Jeremy Bicha <jbicha@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 9 November 2011 06:03, Leszek Lesner <leszek.lesner@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > In my view Chromium offers still better features than firefox. Just look
>> > at the HTML5 capabilities it just beats firefox here with in my view
>> > important things just like HTML5 videoplayback (H264 is supported)
>>
>> Google is dropping H264 support:
>> http://blog.chromium.org/2011/01/html-video-codec-support-in-chrome.html
>>
>> > or the fact that every browser tab in chromium is running as a different
>> > process in a sandbox which makes a crash of one tab not concerning for
>> > other tabs.
>>
>> Firefox might do that in the future also, but it costs memory to
>> sandbox each browser tab. And I believe Chromium cheats: when
>> available memory gets too low, tabs begin sharing the same process so
>> it's a bit harder to know what's really going on.
>>
>> > All in all I am in flavor of Chromium as its still faster and offers the
>> > better features.
>>
>> That's a bit subjective as Firefox also offers unique features: It's
>> possible to run a few hundred tabs in Firefox; the design of
>> Chromium's tabbar makes that much more painful in Chromium. Firefox
>> has a much more powerful addon framework (although Chromium may
>> improve this next year). The user has more control over his data with
>> Firefox Sync than with Google's version.
>>
>> While I'm not a Google-hater, I think it's very important for the free
>> web that Mozilla continues to exist. Since Mozilla is a bit more open
>> than Chromium and multiple steps more open than Android, I think open
>> source fans should consider supporting Firefox if the features are
>> nearly equal, which in my opinion they are. This is why I hope Firefox
>> continues to remain the Ubuntu default browser. Since Lubuntu has
>> different constraints in choosing default apps, I'll let Julien and
>> the Lubuntu devs make their own evaluation. Both browsers are fully
>> supported in Ubuntu (Canonical is looking to hire someone who can help
>> maintain Chromium).
>>
>> Jeremy

Best Regards,

*amjjawad*
Lubuntu One Stop Thread (Mega
Thread)<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755>
My Wiki Page <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad> | My
Launchpad<https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad> |
My Ubuntu Forum Profile <http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822>

*My Actions Speak Louder Than My Words ||** ** I walk by faith, not by
sight **|| Imagination is more important than Knowledge || **Keep It Simple
and Short*