Re: Lubuntu 13.10 beta - zram and hardware

On 09/22/2013 08:51 PM, JM wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 19:25:32 +0300
> Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 09/22/2013 07:12 PM, JM wrote:

>>> Hi Lars,
>>>
>>> About logs:
>>> Is the distro installed or is the freeze occurring with a live ? If it is installed,
>>> is it possible to get the dmesg just after a reboot, and seek for the last lines just
>>> before the last reboot lines ?
>>
>> The distro is installed, but lately I've had freezes during the
>> installation process.  Tomorrow, or whenever the new beta arrives, I'll
>> be doing installation on the machine again.  3x alternate and 3x desktop.
>>
>>> hum… I'm not sure it is still possible to get the dmesg messages from the former
>>> session nowadays. Maybe seek for the last lines of dmesg from within a Live session?
>>
>> I can't get the machine to crash on demand.
>
> Of course, this would be just after one of these random crashes.

Hi, Mélodie,

Ok.  I'll see what I can do about getting a dmesg after the next crash
on Monday (tomorrow)

>>> About mac mini : isn't there something in that kind of hardware which might be (?) →
>>>
>>> Just noticed the two different kinds of CPUs : which one is in use when you boot? Can
>>> you setup something in the bios to select one or the other? →
>>
>> The output is from lshw.  I'm not so sure how reliable that is.
>
> I have considered lshw very reliable so far. Have you started it with the admin rights?
> (sudo lshw).
>
> What does "cat /proc/cpuinfo" return ?

I've included the contents of /proc/cpuinfo below at the end of the
message.

>>  It should be registering an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU.  I'm not up on hardware
>> enough to know whether that is dual core or dual cpu.  But either way,
>> both should be the same.  Looking at /proc/cpuinfo shows that both are
>> the same, so I suspect that the fault is with lshw.
>
> lshw shows a core duo and a pentium III.
> …

I've found 3 or 4 big mistakes in what lshw has reported on other
hardware, but cannot recall the specifics since it was so long ago.  So
the report of PIII may also be a mistake.

> → Could you check in the BIOS to see if there is an additional PIII CPU showing
> and enabled? (And if so if it could be disabled)

I'm not sure how to do that.  AFAIK there is no BIOS only OpenFirmware
or EFI which have no menus.

> →→ This is your machine:
> http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac_mini_cd_1.83-specs.html
>
> (found from this list: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/index-macmini.html )

Yes, I saw that one too.  It does not have much information.

[snip]
>> Module                  Size  Used by
> (...)
>> i915                  655709  2
> (...)
>
> It does not show agpgart-intel and after a fast search in Lubuntu vbox, in my own
> Archlinux box and on the web it seems not to be provided anywhere anymore.
>
> I don't quite see how zram would interfere with the GPU abilities. Are you
> considering trying the values I have pointed to in the last mail here ? "Date: Sun, 22
> Sep 2013 17:04:13 +0200"

I'll need help walking through that.

regards,
/Lars

> Regards,
> Mélodie

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 15
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T5600  @ 1.83GHz
stepping	: 2
microcode	: 0x57
cpu MHz		: 1833.000
cache size	: 2048 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 2
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 2
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 10
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64
monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm tpr_shadow
bogomips	: 3666.36
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor	: 1
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6