Re: proposal to discuss forking of OpenERP GTK client

2012/10/11 Raphael Valyi <rvalyi@xxxxxxxxx>

> And it's more than that, in v7.0 all the screen layouts now relies heavily
> on new HTML tags within the existing XML of the views, so you would have
> lot's of trouble re-implementing/maintaining some GTK rendering engine.

This again demonstrates that the problem is that views are now being
created with web client only in mind, this kind of behaviour is exactly
what the GTK-proponents are afraid of, breaking the gtk client for some
useless eyecandy. If you want to have nice looking html then why not
rewrite the entire views in plain html/mako/css without the use of an
abstract xml language ?

This abstract xml language is what makes the views reusable on different
platforms or clients with relatively little effort. Throwing in html
increases the risk of a view that is not useable in non-web enviroments.

For the very GTK die hard, I would rather suggest using Tryton instead
> which place the GTK client at the center of it.

No thank you.

> Otherwise, I would say as Stefan: let's focus on making the web client
> decent. Something like GMail is perfectly usable, the same could be
> achieved with OpenERP (of course not using standard high level component
> framework doesn't help), but at least the web-client code is now much
> cleaner than the rest of the OpenERP codebase.

Agreed, the gtk client currently is a soup. Mostly this mess was created by
OpenERP SA themselves by neglecting the client and long periods of
"maybe-this-patch-will-fix-problem-a" mentality and not addressing the
design flaws in the gtk code structure.

As for the RPC webservices, I hope they will be maintained on par because
> the very good integration potential of OpenERP is really something that
> make OpenERP attractive compared to other ERP's or enterprise applications
> in general.

Without this the entire product is unusable nor able to be properly tested
and as Anders pointed out 2 official clients now provide a compelling
argument for that your api interfaces are good.
If you dump one and then claim you have good client API interfaces people
are less likely to believe you because the feature sets between both will
deviate from each other.

The current state of both web and gtk client today still means that I use
both of them on a daily basis because neither has all the features.
Maybe we can talk about dumping the GTK client when all it's features have
been ported (which I don't see happening before 7.0 release) and the
behaviour of both clients are *exactly* the same on all models/views.

--
Niels Huylebroeck
Lead Architect   --   Agaplan