Re: proposal to discuss forking of OpenERP GTK client

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 3:25 AM, Fabien Pinckaers <fp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> > ourself to convince them that Web is Good. IMHO They Buy Support and
> > Warranty for 2 clients NOT ONE, How do i discuss this argument my
> > friend? (already said by 2 of my customers).
>
> I bet your customers will ask to use the web client as it's simply much
> better in every aspects.
>
> > 6.- About the agument "We prefer mantain 1 very well than 2 bad", Ok, Im
> > agreed, and i respect this Point of view, but the real situation is that
> > you dont have 1 very well, because, the real fact is that we dont have a
> > lot of funcinalities that we had in v6.1
>
> I don't think so. Some feature may be missing but they are easily
> developed as a module. (like tabs)
>
> > I think we need some features ABSOLUTLY NECESARIES in V7.0 if desition
> > is taken to be able to deploy correctly transition.
> > 1.- Menus ala admin menu (Already in v6.1) we use A LOT this feature:
> > http://drupal.org/files/images/Administration-menu.png
> > 2.- Copy and paste to use tree information on a spreadsheet, it can be
> > solve easyly if we include this feature (not with excel with direct csv).
> > You can implement freely as you think is te correct way, but it can
> > replace the copy-paste just neede to quickly pass to excel y/0 OO.
> >
> http://planet.domsense.com/en/2012/06/openerp-how-to-export-current-tree-view-to-xls-use-web_export_view/
> > 3.- Print Screen in PDF, Priority 1.
> > 4.- Print Workflow in PDF, Priority 1.
> > 5.- I have a question: how do replace the easy way you pass with @Tab@
> > key without loss layout in web?, this is important too!
> > 6.- ShortCuts, Priority 1.
> > 7.- MultiTabs. PLEASE dont ask me develop by myself, i have already this
> > in GTK and is your desition take off.
> > 8.- Test the posibility of use ALL the web client without mouse. When it
> > should be possible, you will think IT IS READY!, after impossible, think
> > in people loading thousand of records per day, not just in new ones that
> > will learn quickly.
> > 9.- If you decide just not mantain, create yourselve the fork and put a
> > copy with openerp-gtk-drivers permisions to make it official, give us
> > the power, but i think it is a bad move.
>
> 1. This is very easy in web. (but requires a bigger develoment in GTK)
> 2. probably a 100 lines patch/module for the web client
> 3. The printscreen is better in web as it works for everything now,
>    including form views. It uses an @media css through the native
>    printing of the browser. You can also implement the old printscreen
>    which is probably a 100 lines patch/module for the web client
> 4. Already implemented in the debug mode
> 5. don't understand your question; tabs are the same in web and GTK ?
> 6. Already implemented
> 7. We made breadcrum which is an alternative. If you need tabs, a
>    module is just 100 lines of code.
> 8. Shortcuts are quite easy to implement in web
>
> So, I don't see any reason why we need a GTK. Porting those features to
> the web is probably a 10 days effort while making the GTK evolve is

Hello @Fabien, in Gnuthink we are totally agree to just support Web, but as
i wrote in a mail before, please we need a better technical documentation,
if Partners & community get this everything will be easiest. Its more fast
include a new developer to read doc instead read the code (thinking in
time), so partners and community needs start to migrate modules.

For all partners an community, we can does better Web development, from
company side is more fast get web developers instead gtk developers and
grow faster.

Best regards,