Re: partner / partner.address merge (Re: [Openerp-i18n-french] “personne morale” vs “société”)

I was there, with only a few weeks of OpenERP behind me. AFAIR, the

> presentation that was made did not go too deep in the specifics.
> "Merging partner and partner address" probably could have been done in a
> saner way. I was not aware at that time of the issues this model change
> was supposed to fix. And I have to admit that to this date, I'm still
> not aware of these issues, although I'm getting painfully aware of the
> issues which are caused by this change, and quite unhappy about them,
> implementing OpenERP for a customer which is mainly B2B...
>
> Yesterday evening I re-read the Party pattern (from Martin Fowler
> Analysis Patterns [1])...
>
> [1] http://www.martinfowler.com/books/ap.html

Hello Alexandre. Notice that I wasn't targeting anybody specifically when I
asked about the people present during the change presentation. And I can
totally understand new-comers pass though some naive euphoric phase with
OpenERP at the beginning. It even happened to me back in 2007...

But it's funny, while I couldn't make the trip this was the change where I
was the most anxious and I was kind of pressuring for investigation on
Twitter during the presentation and everybody said amen to the editor
instead of spotting these issues... So it's bit frustrating to discover so
many criticisms around it just now. Socializing during community events is
fun, but I hope it's a lesson for next time not to miss spotting the
potential timebombs thrown in the air during the fireworks show.

About the Party pattern, did you know it's what they implemented in the
Tryton fork?
http://doc.tryton.org/1.4/modules/party/doc/index.html
Sometimes there is really no need to raise millions to re-invent the wheel,
looking at your free forks might be enough to improve the software. Or is
it some hidden licensing B plan issue? Let's hope not...

Well, let's see that in practice now. But yeah, that's not a small change...

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant