Re: Current Issues was:(Re: Compressed image file with ToriOS, forked from: custom tarballs)

Hi again Israel,
[inline]

Den 2015-06-01 16:10, Israel skrev:
> Hi again Nio!
> (more inlines)
>
> On 06/01/2015 08:55 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> Hi Israel,
>>> Ok, so this means the chroot update grub script it not getting run...  I
>>> will look into the script a bit more to see what is happening.
>> OK
> I made a modification to the grub installing things.
> I changed it a little, and have it log to the log file so we can see if
> grub is indeed updated. (or if OBI thinks it is).
>
> I also removed ztweaks and and building a package for it now.
> I changed the OBI control to require ztweaks be installed as well.

OK

>> ..
> Ok I will look into PCManFM menu issues a bit more... but if we cannot
> figure this out before release time, I think this is something that can
> go into 'Release Notes' as it is not a show stopper to me.

Or use that symbolic link

ln -s /usr/share/applications /Desktop

which is quite straightforward and I think a good work-around.

>>> Ok, we should possibly move ztweaks into its own package (rather than
>>> part of OBI)
>>> This way it will be easy to install on its own.  I need to work on OBI
>>> so I will try to do this soon.
>> OK, it will be a very small package, but it is probably be the best way
>> to do it.
>>
> Done :)

:-)

>> Now I have created some tarballs (no fancy tweaking, just for testing so
>> far) and tested them.
>>
>> 1. It works to create a tarball in my installed ToriOS system and to
>> install it using the same installed ToriOS system.
>>
>> 2. It works to create a tarball in a live system with persistence and to
>> install it using the same live system with persistence.
>>
>> 3. It does not work cross-wise: The installed ToriOS system cannot use a
>> tarball made with the live system, and the live ToriOS system cannot use
>> a tarball made with an installed system. This is not necessary, but it
>> would be nice with tarballs that are portable between the systems.
> I am not 100% sure I understand what you are trying to do, or what is
> not working right.
>
> from what I understand, you are using the Live system to create a
> tarball of a customized version of ToriOS.
> And, this works fine now, if I understand you, to install and Networking
> works fine.
> Is this true?
>
> But you cannot install ToriOS, and modify it and install it on another
> computer?  Or you cannot make a USB system?
>
> As long as whatever you are describing is not a show stopper we can wait
> to figure this out for ToriOS 2.0   it can then be a *new* feature.  I'd
> rather ship a stable easy to install working, decent system, than spend
> too much time trying to figure something out that is a fringe use case.
> When we build 2.0 we can really refine the ultimate customization of ToriOS.

What I say is that

1. I can make a custom tarball in the live system and install it
successfully using the same live system.

2. I can make a custom tarball in an installed system and install it
successfully using the same installed system.

3. But it does not work to use a {tarball made in the live system} in
the installed system, and it does not work to use a {tarball made in the
installed system} in the live system. Then things fail, for example
nm-applet and the shutdown menu. This is a bug, but not a show stopper.
I am happy, that items 1 and 2 work. Item 2 is an improvement since the
previous version (if I did the testing correctly).