Re: ToriOS on GitHub

Hi everyone,

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 5:41 AM, Samuel Klein <srukle@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please stop branching threads. Isolate conversations to the mailinglist
> under separate titles from now on.

I am not sure to whom you're addressing this statement? I'd assume it's for
everyone since you addressed the entire list.

Just for the record:

ToriOS is following the SAME CoC and that explains why I always ignore
negative feedback from people picking up fights and step in whenever
needed. That's also explain why I always keen to monitor the mailing list
with each and every discussion as I hate to see ToriOS face the same hassle
Lubuntu some years ago; their mailing list was a real pain due to the fact
no one was monitoring their mailing list. That's also explain why I am keen
to "rename" the threads whenever needed.

This is a MUST-READ link :)

> I work daily on GitHub. Adding ToriOS responsibilities like maintaining
> the respository would not be an issue.

I don't have the link but IIRC, we do use GitHub so what is the problem
here? why we're creating an issue out of nothing?!

Please check with Israel and Paul. I think both are using it already :)

> Another idea is to use Launchpad more conventionally (as make bug reports
> there rather than using our mailing list). This is needed for transparency
> and rewarding developers for the time they volunteer.

Samuel, have you seen this before?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/torios

You're now using Launchpad :)
Sending to:
torios@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Means you're using Launchpad.

We're also reporting bugs and we used to work on blueprints as well.
So, we're very much using Launchpad.

> > The website issue would be resolved.

I think as the project manager of ToriOS that we are making it MUCH MORE
complicated than it's. KISS, people.

KISS = Keep It Simple and Short.

And please, let's move on :)

> > We can centralize our other source code in one organization and keep
> license rights for members who created them.

I don't see any good reason to migrate away from Launchpad. It offers
everything for ToriOS unless someone can prove me wrong? I'm happy to
listen :)
But please, do search and check before suggesting any alternative ;)

ToriOS wasn't born yesterday.

> > Ali or anyone can make blog posts and updates when needed.

WordPress is the best platform for me because once the website is built,
your life becomes so much easy and hassle-free.

I fail to see why we should use something else?

Not to mention, JetPack is the best plugin I have used in years. With one
click, my blog's post can be shared on 6 different social media at the same
time!

Beside, there are so much great stuff. I found few days ago a plugin which
can translate the entire website to many languages.
Yes, auto-translation.

> > I can train you how to use GitHub with my tutorials.

Great and thanks for that but if it is not broken, why should we waste time
to fix something that is not broken? I fail to see the point. We are
supposed to invest time not waste it. Please keep in mind that people here
work on voluntary basis. Even me, I'm not getting paid. Yes, I do what I
love but that does not mean I have no life else where.

*I'd vote to migrate away from Launchpad only if Launchpad fails to provide
what we need. This is my final decision.*

> Again, here's the website: https://tori-os.github.io/
> *This can be changed to toris.top easily.* Blog support included. If Ali
> doesn't want to learn how to manage it, you can go through the ticket
> system until you have the time to commit to learning GitHub.
>
> This is really a non-issue. Buying server space is a big expense, and it
> should be avoided until we receive some sort of grant or money for the
> project. Otherwise this non-issue is pushing people away from the project.

With all due respect, it is you who are creating an issue out of nothing.
Some are happy to pay. If you don't want to pay, just don't.
Please stop making problems and assume things that don't even exist.