ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: language issue: "fr_CA" (French Canada) doesn't work

I updated the wiki page [1] as follows:

"
Caveats
* If latex special characters ($, %, _, {, }, &, #) are inserted through a translation unescaped (not preceded by a backslash) in a context that is invalid for LaTeX, the pdf build breaks. Despite an effort to fix this programatically (trunk revision 64), it turns out to be unfeasible (only LaTex can deduce the context -- there's no simple rule). Thus, translators will need to be aware and educated.
"

Cheers,
Kyle

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/10.10/DeveloperManual/BuildPDFs

On 01/06/2011 07:15 PM, Kyle Nitzsche wrote:
On 01/06/2011 06:58 PM, Kevin Godby wrote:
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Kyle Nitzsche
<kyle.nitzsche@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>  OK. Kevin, it seems the python script (thing 'o beauty though it is ;)
>  should be dropped. And that we deal with unescaped*problematic*  special
>  characters in msgstr fields in another way. Do you agree?
Yes, I agree.  There's unfortunately no easy way to parse TeX code
outside of TeX itself.

So, I've backed this out with two commits.

The first one included bug fixes and better output (for pride's sake ;).

The second is a full reversion.

./lang_pdfs will fail if invalid trans are present.

Bzr log entries below.

revno: 65
committer: Kyle Nitzsche <kyle.nitzsche@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
branch nick: ubuntu-developer-manual
timestamp: Thu 2011-01-06 19:09:03 -0500
message:
  revert previous work to first check for invalid unescaped chars in
  po file msgstr fields because, whether such unescaped special chars
  need to be escaped depends on a context that only LaTeX itself can
  properly determine. That is, there is no straightforward test that works
  such as I had been trying to perform.

  result: if such invalid msgstr entries appear through translation, they
  will break the build and will have to be found and fixed.
revno: 64
committer: Kyle Nitzsche <kyle.nitzsche@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
branch nick: ubuntu-developer-manual
timestamp: Thu 2011-01-06 19:06:14 -0500
message:
  improve (fix) code to find invalid unescaped special characters