Re: [Development] Newbie troubles: No valid kits found

Hi Kevin,

That's interesting to have it that way around. There is a problem
related to KDE that it hard-codes the PATH variable to always use Qt4
regardless of qtchooser setting [1] as a workaround for qdbus. I'd
think that would result in Qt Creator (if having no configuration)
detecting and enabling Qt4 instead of Qt5, if both development
binaries are installed. But you've said you don't have Qt4 anyhow. To
check what Qt and from where was autodetected, you can go to Tools ->
Options -> Build & Run -> Qt Versions under both Unity and KDE. It
should state the Qt version and qmake location - in normal cases it
should always be /usr/bin/qmake from where qtchooser takes over and
gives Qt5 if ubuntu-sdk package is installed. Remove the QtC
configuration in-between.

Then my thoughts flow from that KDE PATH setting to old times. Did you
try out Ubuntu SDK late last year / early this year? The guide back
then said to add a PATH variable to .bashrc or elsewhere, hard-coding
it to some 5.0.0 / 5.0 beta directory in /opt/. See
http://askubuntu.com/questions/254800/how-can-i-update-the-ubuntu-sdk-preview-from-the-qt-5-beta-ppa-to-the-qt-5-relea

Moreover, you could check echo $PATH from command line and start
qtcreator also from command line, and compare the $PATH to what you
get in KDE before starting qtcreator there.

I'm focused on that variable now since it's the only thing that I
clearly know as differing between KDE and other desktop environments,
if one removes the Qt Creator configuration from equation. But since
this is the first time (I think) I hear about such a long waiting time
when starting, it could be something completely different.

-Timo

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kde-workspace/+bug/1180196