Re: [Development] anti-theft

On mer, 2014-04-23 at 18:49 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> > It's ok to install anti-theft software, but the idea of having some
> > hardware/software within the infrastructure where the user has no
> > control over it, does not sit well with me.  That is not the kind of
> > phone that I want.
> It's less about bits the *user* has no control over and more about
> bits the *theif* has no control over.

I don't think there's any loss of software freedom for this. If it's
pre-installed and uninstallable, and for some reason you desperately
want to remove it, you can build a custom ROM without it installed.

The user should still have control of enabling/disabling and changing
settings, and this can be easily supported by allowing the user to lock
the settings of this app with a password when they enable the feature.

It's not difficult to design this in a way that gives the user control
and the thief none.