Re: ownCloud app.

W dniu 31.08.2014 o 13:35, Sam Bull pisze:
On sab, 2014-08-30 at 22:51 +0200, Michał Sawicz wrote:
Here, too, I'm afraid this goes into the "why isn't
$my_favourite_service included by default" problem.

Sure, but given the privacy and open source nature of Ubuntu, I would
hope that the most well known open source cloud service that anybody can
deploy on their own servers (or use an existing service) would be a good
service to include support for. I'd rather the list of supported
services was not solely proprietary services with very limited privacy
protection.

The "use an existing service" part does not help privacy protection, and "deploy on their own servers" is not really a common possibility. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's impossible to include in the default set. Just saying it's not as easy as "ah, let's do it and see how it goes".

I'd like to do the same on the phone, the code is Javascript, so I
should be able to reuse it mostly unchanged.

I think we need a more generic system here, the notes app shouldn't have
to know what ownCloud (or any other service, for that matter) is. It
just needs to be a source for a destination (I'm thinking content hub,
of course, I'm sure we can engineer something that will make sense and
be agnostic to what kind of data is being sent through it, from and to
where).

Perhaps, it's just that the ownCloud notes app has an API to be able to
modify/add/delete notes individually, rather than needing to sync and
merge an entire file all the time. This makes it trivially inexpensive
to commit changes to the server immediately.

Isn't every note a separate file anyway? What I wrote about above I would see as the target solution, we don't have to get there with the first step taken.

The Reminders app already appears to be implemented as an exclusively
Evernote service, so it wouldn't be any worse than that.

Sure, that doesn't mean it's good. I'd gladly see support for support for my own server to be included in the Reminders app.

The app, if realized that the account type is not
available, could even link to the store to point directly at the
required package.

For something like the notes app, it could simply hide/show or
enable/disable the sync settings depending on whether there is a service
configured or not.

Sure, that's possible, but you'd probably want to hint at the available sync functionality, so not sure hiding is the right thing.

--
Michał (Saviq) Sawicz <michal.sawicz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Canonical Services Ltd.