Re: MX4 + adb

On 2016-04-11 17:37 , Ondrej Kubik wrote:
> Most the problems with adb are caused by the flaky usb on MX4, but
> could be others.
>
> 1) can you see MTP interface and transfer files to device?
>  -> no) your USB is flaky, test different port, different USB cable....
>
>  -> yes)  what adb client (host binary) are you using?
>       -> one from Google, aka Android studio): make sure you update
> ~/.android/adb_usb.ini it should contain 0x2a45, without that file,
> adb client will ignore any connected device not blessed by Google.
>       -> one from Ubuntu ppa, you should see device or at least as
> "unauthorised device" otherwise make sure you have developer mode enabled.
>
> Using old adb client with new adb daemon should still show you as
> minimum unauthorised device.

I have very limited options for testing MTP.  Macintoshes do not support
MTP.  All I have is a headless Raspberry Pi running Raspbian.

So I'm trying "mtp-tools".  mtp-detect gives very intermittent results.
Mostly it just says "No raw devices found".  Very rarely it spits out a
vast list of stuff.  Other times it says "PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open
session, trying again after resetting USB interface".  Rebooting the
Raspberry Pi improves my odds of getting data, but it quickly peters
out.  Intermittently my phone asks me if I want to allow the Raspberry
Pi to talk to it.  I've tried this with two different ports and two
different cables.  And the phones are flat on the table, so it's not
like the cable's wiggling or anything.

If it was a bad USB *connector* I could understand.  But I'm getting
these intermittent results with two different phones, the other being a
bog-standard landfill Android.  Neither has ever had any problem
charging over USB and both of them show up perfectly fine in lsusb,
proving that data is connected too.  So the problem must be either in
silicon or in software.  Which surely means someone must have really
screwed up the design of something.  I just don't know if it's Meizu,
Ubuntu or Google who's to blame.

Your other points:

* I have adb 1.0.32 on the Macbook and 1.0.31 on the Raspberry Pi.
Please if you suggest I might have the wrong version of adb, also tell
me which version is correct.  If you are successfully using adb to talk
to an MX4, please tell me which version you are using.

* I have already set up ~/.android/adb_usb.ini with 0x2a45 on both the
Macintosh and the Raspberry Pi.  I have actually successfully used adb
on the Macintosh to talk to the MX4 before.  But that was many months
ago and I neglected to note which version of everything I was using.

* I always have developer mode enabled.