Re: Category-based app browsing, was Re: Some impressions about the current status of Unity

> On 02/25/2012 10:03 PM, Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:
> >
> >> Each added step reduces the likelihood that a user becomes aware and
> >> sure of the functionality and completes the task. Setting a "Filter"
> >> does not fit well into a browsing approach.
> >>

> > Can you explain what? Is it the name "filter" you react to, or selecting
> > categories? Because you do that in Gnome menubar as well, when you
> > select Applications > Internet for instance.
>
> Yes, there's similarity in that you select Categories, be it as filter
> or menu. You already mentioned one of the differences, but let me try to
> make a complete list.
>
> What is different with using Filters in the Dash from using a menu with
> sub-menus per category?
> - Initially, there is no category selected
> - Initially, categories are invisible
> - Category selection is not exclusive, but additive (though not in 11.10)
> - Category selection happens in a dedicated area, there is no similarity
> in the representation of categories and items
>
> All of this works against perceiving and using categories as part of a
> browsing strategy. Conceptually, the filters are an addition to the
> Search approach.
>

> > If you don't know what you're looking for, then you should use the Ubuntu
> > Software Center.
>
> For finding and starting an application, the Software Center is not well
> suited. It's startup time makes it seem ridiculous, when compared to the
> application menu we had.

Alan Bell's proposed view for the apps lens is very similar to the view in USC installed apps.

http://people.ubuntu.com/~alanbell/appmenu.ogv

his proposal:
https://lists.launchpad.net/unity-design/msg08005.html

the only difference is usc shows them vertically and his view uses the space more efficiently in the dash horizontally.

The category filters then should be able to show only those categories you want (shows all cats by default), which would make the apps lens just as easy or easier than that of usc.