Re: [PETSC #13298] Re: installation of DOLFIN 0.5.7 on Debian

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Barry Smith wrote:

>   Well knock me over with a sledge hammer; the one constant in my world
> is gone! From
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.57/html_mono/autoconf.html#SEC34
>
> By default, configure sets the prefix for files it installs to
> `/usr/local'. The user of configure can select a different prefix
> using the `--prefix' and `--exec-prefix' options. There are two ways
> to change the default: when creating configure, and when running it.
>
> > Now, if the location of the binaries is hardwired into them at compile time
> > using --prefix as the location, which seems to be what is going on, then this
> > would explain my problems.
>
>   We are hardwiring into the libraries the location of the dynamic libraries
> that need to be loaded at runtime. The location is determined by --prefix
> as I understood --prefix to mean.
>
>   How should we get the information to compile into the libraries? If we cannot
> use --prefix do we have to make up our own option name --with-install-directory=...?

Barry,

Or default install is approximately equivalent to '--prefix=PETSC_DIR' - so paths
hardcoded paths to the libs are 'PETSC_DIR/lib/$PETSC_ARCH'

If --prefix option is actually used [which also requires a make install] - then
the hardcoded paths would be '$PREFIX_DIR/lib'

Don't see a need for additional option '--with-install-directory'

Satish