Re: Better Workview

> Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 15:00:30 +0200
> From: bertrand.rousseau@xxxxxxxxx
> To: meg387@xxxxxxxxx
> CC: gtg-contributors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Gtg-contributors] Better Workview
>
> Hmm, so we're doing etymology too now? ;-)
>
> Regarding subtasks. How we define subtask has been described by ploum
> in one of his mail, posted about 2 weeks ago on gtg-contributors [1]:
>
> "In essence, a subtask B of A is a task that you consider as a
> prerequisite before working on A."

I surely agree with what Bertrand has pointed out here. I have experienced it myself and in fact, use the subtasks in this manner only.
> So, it's really important for us that a subtask must considered as a
> prerequisite of its parent task. It thus corresponds to a "break down"
> of the parent task in more detail (the aim being to refine a parent
> task in subtasks until those can be performed directly), and not an
> extension.
>
> Now, the trouble here comes from the fact that this concept is not
> clearly explained or suggested in GTG. Which leads to what ploum
> defined as "abuse" (cf. [1]). IMHO, "abuse" term is a bit judgmental,
> but the main point is: users don't seem to understand this concept as
> us, which leads to misunderstanding with the behaviour of other
> functionalities.
>
> This is the case with the workview, which is often misunderstood.
> Indeed, if subtasks are prerequisite tasks for their parent task, you
> can't, by definition, perform the parent task before achieving all its
> subtasks (they're exclusive). This is why the workview, which only
> displays the "tasks you can actually do", hides all parent tasks (and
> why those tasks disappear when you add subtasks while in the workview
> mode).
>
> Well, this is the rationale behind all this. I think it's sound.
> However, I agree that how we implemented it now lead to confusions, so
> it should be rethought a bit.

So, this is a drawback in the Work View which must be checked and corrected.The subtasks need to be grouped in the Work View as well so that the user may  know which subtasks he need to complete to complete a parent task.This can be reported as a bug under Wishlist.
Anant