Re: [12.04] Firefox instead of Chromium?

Guys,

With all due respect to EVERYONE, I'm not sure if this
debate/discussion/argument is even healthy or not any more?
I know we, as Lubuntu Team Members, must discuss between us first of all
but we must not forget about one simple fact ... USERS have the louder
voice IMHO. I do believe that such choice must first be made by users. I
mean, they should agree about that.

EVERYONE, and I mean everyone on Ubuntu Forum is asking us to keep Lubuntu
as it's and to improve it to be even better BUT NOT TO follow Ubuntu's
Steps.
Everyone is aware that Mint is Rank 1 now on Distrowatch. Who knows what
could happen? Do you guys know how many users has moved from Ubuntu to
Lubuntu? I almost see 5-10 every day. I'm ready to do a survey and see how
many actually moved to Lubuntu and will start that today, at least for my
own information.

I downloaded Fedora 16 LXDE today because I'm having Multi-Boot machine
with many LXDE Distributions to compare between them. It has Firefox by
default, not Chromium. This is FYI not FYA.

I suggest instead of spending some time discussing about that, why not do
some tests and send the report via mailing list?

As many already mentioned, it's "apt-get install" and mission accomplished.
IMHO, there are a lot to talk about rather than Firefox VS Chromium talk.

I'm out of this discussion and going to do two things and get back to you:

1- I'll do my test and send it via mailing list.
2- I'll write my suggestions regarding 12.04 on my thread and send it to
everyone.

I don't mean to be rude here at all, just stating my humble opinion and I
could be wrong but that's my point after all. Disagree but don't disrespect
is my motto :)

Cya

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Leszek Lesner <leszek.lesner@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 09.11.2011 15:55, schrieb A. Andjelkovic:
> > Let's not think in terms of "This is what I would prefer" but rather
> "This
> > is what a user on a low spec machine would prefer".
> Isn't that the same ?
> I am running Chromium here on a 800 Mhz ARM Cortex A8 with 256 MB RAM.
> I guess that is a low machine.
> If you get to even lower hardware than both browsers feel slugish.
>
> > Let's not start a war here... I don't want to be rude, but please keep
> such
> > personal opinions out of this discussion.
>
> If you only choose software on the base of how much ram they use on
> ancient hardware then you will definitely fail in delivering a good user
> experience. Personal opinions matter a lot if they are supported by good
> arguments.
> And no I don't want to start a war here. I just want to discuss the
> advantages and disadvantages of both browsers.
>

> > Google is dropping H264 support:
> > http://blog.chromium.org/2011/01/html-video-codec-support-in-chrome.html
>
> Google Chrome != Chromium
>
> > Firefox might do that in the future also, but it costs memory to
> > sandbox each browser tab. And I believe Chromium cheats: when
> > available memory gets too low, tabs begin sharing the same process so
> > it's a bit harder to know what's really going on.
>
> At least from the user perspective you have still the advantage that one
> tab cannot crash the whole browser.
>
> > While I'm not a Google-hater, I think it's very important for the free
> > web that Mozilla continues to exist. Since Mozilla is a bit more open
> > than Chromium and multiple steps more open than Android, I think open
> > source fans should consider supporting Firefox if the features are
> > nearly equal, which in my opinion they are. This is why I hope Firefox
> > continues to remain the Ubuntu default browser. Since Lubuntu has
> > different constraints in choosing default apps, I'll let Julien and
> > the Lubuntu devs make their own evaluation. Both browsers are fully
> > supported in Ubuntu (Canonical is looking to hire someone who can help
> > maintain Chromium).
>
> I really don't think that if Lubuntu would ship Chromium instead of
> Firefox it will hurt Mozilla soo much that they have to fear their
> existens.
> And to be clear here, if we would to have choose a non free vs. a free
> software then I would also argue its definitely better to promote the
> free software. But in our case we have to made a choice between two free
> software products.

Best Regards,

*amjjawad*
Lubuntu One Stop Thread (Mega
Thread)<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755>
My Wiki Page <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad> | My
Launchpad<https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad> |
My Ubuntu Forum Profile <http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822>

*My Actions Speak Louder Than My Words ||** ** I walk by faith, not by
sight **|| Imagination is more important than Knowledge || **Keep It Simple
and Short*