Re: [12.04] Firefox instead of Chromium?

Am 09.11.2011 15:55, schrieb A. Andjelkovic:
> Let's not think in terms of "This is what I would prefer" but rather "This
> is what a user on a low spec machine would prefer".
Isn't that the same ?
I am running Chromium here on a 800 Mhz ARM Cortex A8 with 256 MB RAM.
I guess that is a low machine.
If you get to even lower hardware than both browsers feel slugish.

> Let's not start a war here... I don't want to be rude, but please keep such
> personal opinions out of this discussion.

If you only choose software on the base of how much ram they use on
ancient hardware then you will definitely fail in delivering a good user
experience. Personal opinions matter a lot if they are supported by good
arguments.
And no I don't want to start a war here. I just want to discuss the
advantages and disadvantages of both browsers.

> Google is dropping H264 support:
> http://blog.chromium.org/2011/01/html-video-codec-support-in-chrome.html

Google Chrome != Chromium

> Firefox might do that in the future also, but it costs memory to
> sandbox each browser tab. And I believe Chromium cheats: when
> available memory gets too low, tabs begin sharing the same process so
> it's a bit harder to know what's really going on.

At least from the user perspective you have still the advantage that one
tab cannot crash the whole browser.

> While I'm not a Google-hater, I think it's very important for the free
> web that Mozilla continues to exist. Since Mozilla is a bit more open
> than Chromium and multiple steps more open than Android, I think open
> source fans should consider supporting Firefox if the features are
> nearly equal, which in my opinion they are. This is why I hope Firefox
> continues to remain the Ubuntu default browser. Since Lubuntu has
> different constraints in choosing default apps, I'll let Julien and
> the Lubuntu devs make their own evaluation. Both browsers are fully
> supported in Ubuntu (Canonical is looking to hire someone who can help
> maintain Chromium).

I really don't think that if Lubuntu would ship Chromium instead of
Firefox it will hurt Mozilla soo much that they have to fear their
existens.
And to be clear here, if we would to have choose a non free vs. a free
software then I would also argue its definitely better to promote the
free software. But in our case we have to made a choice between two free
software products.