Re: Lubuntu 13.10 beta - zram and hardware

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 23:13:31 +0300
Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, Mélodie,
>
> Ok.  I'll see what I can do about getting a dmesg after the next crash
> on Monday (tomorrow)

Ok.

> I've included the contents of /proc/cpuinfo below at the end of the
> message.

Yes. Strangely they both have a different setup, one offers 1800 Mhz speed and the other
only 1000 although they have the same capacity.

> I've found 3 or 4 big mistakes in what lshw has reported on other
> hardware, but cannot recall the specifics since it was so long ago.  So
> the report of PIII may also be a mistake.

Ok, I haven't but perhaps, why not?

> I'm not sure how to do that.  AFAIK there is no BIOS only OpenFirmware
> or EFI which have no menus.

They don't? :-(

sigh…

> > I don't quite see how zram would interfere with the GPU abilities. Are you
> > considering trying the values I have pointed to in the last mail here ? "Date: Sun, 22
> > Sep 2013 17:04:13 +0200"
>
> I'll need help walking through that.

Here is help. If you don't understand it all quite well you will need to do it slowly and
quietly. :)

To prevent the kernel from swapping to disk (using the swap partition, which
is slower than a swap in ram), install this:

http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/BentoVillageProject/Configurations/System/etc/sysctl.d/50-local.conf

/etc/sysctl.d/

this is what it says:
*********

## Configure swappiness
# Uncomment the next line if we are running a laptop
# vm.laptop_mode = 1
vm.swappiness=0
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

*********

very commonly adviced in many places on the web, which I use in all my systems since a
while now.

Then the following:
http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/BentoVillageProject/Configurations/System/Zram/

Read the README.

Change your
/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf

for this one:
http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/BentoVillageProject/Configurations/System/Zram/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf

what is added is only this:
COMPCACHE_SIZE="25%"

instead of
COMPCACHE_SIZE=""

in /usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf.d/compcache

change this:
COMPCACHE_SIZE="50%"

for this:
COMPCACHE_SIZE="25%"

This is what the patch file means:
http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/BentoVillageProject/Configurations/System/Zram/usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf.d/compcache.patch

and IF you are in a Live,
in /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/compcache
change this:
# Do not use compcache on the liveCD if we have more than 512M

for this:
# Do not use compcache on the liveCD if we have more than 2048M

and after this:
if [ "\${BOOT}" = "casper" ]; then

change this:
if [ "\${TOTAL_RAM}" -gt 524288 ]; then

for this:
if [ "\${TOTAL_RAM}" -gt 2097152 ]; then

This is what is intented with the file
http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/BentoVillageProject/Configurations/System/Zram/usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/compcache.patch

Regards,
Mélodie