Re: Making our way out from the bloated extra-addons repository

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Ovnicraft <ovnicraft@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
>
> IMO just dont allow more commits after split, if split extra-addons
> happens and we get other branches it is better dont allow more commits and
> notificate to community and change the branch details explaining the new
> road to follow and put the links there, so if anyone push changes migrate
> changes will happens every time and nobody must|can maintain that.

of course this is the ideal situation, but I'm afraid we cannot do that
because:

   - we need admin rights on the branch, at best only OpenERP SA has these
   rights, not sure how fast they would move on that
   - but mostly because people may use the extra-addons for modules that
   may not have been extracted yet. So the decommissioning will happen
   progressively: if you need some extra-addons module, try to point us a set
   of modules to extract, then we extract them, then you stop using the
   extra-addons. But in the meanwhile of that process, we cannot really
   prevent people from maintaining their modules in the extra-addons.

That being said, I hope that extra-addons for 6.1 and onward will be dead
by the end of the 2012.

Regards

--
Raphaël Valyi