quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Re: Fwd: Fwd: Proposal: Abstract hosting service from project templates.

On 13 August 2012 07:31, Didier Roche <didrocks@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le 11/08/2012 15:42, tony byrne a écrit :
>
>  Alistair seems to want a command something like
>
> quickly create <any template> <project name>
> cd <project name>
> quickly add -t vcs git (this script also removes bzr etc)
> quickly add -t vcs githost (this script also removes submitubuntu command
> etc)
>
> (This is a version of his 2 templates proposal.)

This is not something I can support, sorry. Recreating the repo is
going to break in unknown ways if you do it against an arbitrary
template, so it doesn't solve the original concern I had - which was
to avoid an explosion of templates for every possible combination of
technologies.

My favoured solution at this point is to implement any modularity in
the templates themselves. That makes it completely optional for the
template designer.

This way, instead of n copies of every template, you only need two:
one that inherits from ubuntu-app and comes with a tutorial but only
works with launchpad, and one that inherits from generic-app and
supports choosing the hosting service at project creation time, and
does not come with a tutorial or high level functions like
submitubuntu.

--
Alistair Buxton
a.j.buxton@xxxxxxxxx