Re: Notifications in unity

Den 18. nov. 2011 04:51, skrev Omar B.:
- the items that now hide inside the MM are the icons (or what used to be icons in the panel/systray).

ref.
https://a248.e.akamai.net/assets.github.com/img/15183cadf2a9cdd7781aea9a6a22b84455adf703/687474703a2f2f6935342e74696e797069632e636f6d2f32343136787a6f2e706e67

No, that is not true. The entries are in the menu all the time. It's just the window that's being hidden. It doesn't have anything to do with the indicator.
- users used to spot these icons quickly

ref.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FJH0hYZmVtc/TALwoQRxZrI/AAAAAAAAIBY/4Wxk1JmG-34/s1600/Selection_002.png

Read Microsofts description of why that was a horrible idea and why they've wanted to get rid of it for more than a decade. In short, that system was completely incomprehensible because all apps would work in completely different ways. Some would use left-click, others would use right click. Some would use double-click and still some would use middle-click. They also didn't symbolize things in a similar way, so you would have to understand every single icon separately.

You've completely drifted off course here, if your point was to make Unity easier to understand and learn.

It is very difficult for me to understand why you would force people to use Unity if they want a similar environment to Windows 95. Use Lxpanel instead. Actually, we have panels that make Ubuntu look exactly like Windows. It is an extremely bad idea to have as a main objective that Ubuntu should be automatically useable as long as you're accustomed to Windows.

Right. They're not used to it, and that seems to be your entire case. But it is not a valid argument. People used to say that about movies too, before you got sound. «Nobody will ever want to hear an actor speak», they said. «People aren't used to it.» That was also used as an argument against the use of telephone. People were used to sending telegrams, so adding telephone would be a bad idea.

People were once used to entering commands, and the thought of using a mouse was difficult to understand. If your type of argument would win, we would still be entering commands for everything. You just can't let peoples habits get in the way of progress, because then there will be no progress.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad