Re: Notifications in unity

Den 19. nov. 2011 05:22, skrev Roland Taylor:
The solution here would be to stop crowding the messaging menu (which really makes no sense), and allow autohiding of indicators, similar to the KDE systray.

I agree that the messaging menu is bordering on being crowded, but hiding indications make no sense to me.

Instead, apps that have no indications should not display an indicator. For instance, apps like Transmission and Tomboy should not display indicators. They should use quicklists instead, since that is what they are. Also, Thunderbird should not display entries for writing email and opening contacts. That is not an indication. It is an action. I think the MM should be used for incoming messages, since that is something that needs indications. The availability status should be moved to the user menu and would be used not only for IM and such, but also to choose the notification level. When you open the MM, you should get a list of apps with numbers on them. When you expand the indications of one app, then you would collapse the indications of others. This reduces the clutter, and also works well on small screens where you might want to display one menu at a time.

The concept of using indications to hide windows, is a throwback from really old versions of Windows, which had terrible window management. We should fix the problem by providing good window management instead of hiding it -- quite literally. A better idea would be to have a special workspace for backgrounded apps. It would get a launcher entry. You put it in the background, the launcher entry disappears and it is gone. We could then have an urgency indicator that would display a menu of all apps that have called for attention. Selecting an app from that menu would move it to the current workspace if it was backgrounded, or move you to its workspace if it was placed somewhere else. Or perhaps, rather the "background area" launcher entry would display urgency when at least one app has urgency set, possibly indicating the number of windows by using the same scheme that apps use to show the number of open windows.

Sounds reasonable?

Jo-Erlend Schinstad