Re: "run command" in Dash

Ok , I want to wrap things a little : the gnome "Run" has its user base , as long as it has it - the app will be available (and since I don't expect GNOME will substitute it - it will stay) . There were thoughts on some other discussion that Ubuntu won't have it as a default shortcut any more , I'm not sure where that was , why , or anything else , but it doesn't even matter for this discussion .

 The question is - how can running commands be implemented in the dash ?

Proposal 1 : type the command itself : could cause much damage on accident , and is hard to implement (in terms of search/execute logic) . Also Ians last message was pretty clear about auto-completion . Proposal 2 : type "run:" to run a command . I agree that such functionality isn't that useful , but it's not a bad way of putting things in one place - it's not worse than opening the terminal manually or using the gnome run app , so I'd be happy to see it implemented and use it .

Sadly I think the conversation is pointless - the dash is pointed at normal user tasks and can not include advanced functionality for the command line (as in auto completion or whatever else pleasantness there might be) . If it includes command execution it would be in a way that the normal user won't be able to encounter it , and it won't be including any special features . And that , even if I think is something very logical to have (as everybody is supposed to imagine the dash as omnipotent) , is not a priority in any way for the developers .

Petko